Wednesday 29 February 2012

Goals 2012: February Check In

I decided to cheat a little bit with my goals. As discussed in previous blog posts, I decided to kick things off on 1st February due to Epic Long Trip to America. Already I can see I'm slacking off with some of these goals. 

1To start running again and enrol in a 10k run event

I have been a good girl and joined a gym. It's one of those 'no frills' gyms that are springing up everywhere these days. I'm quite happy to pay a low fee each month and forfeit the joy of having fluffy towels to wipe the sweat away from my brow. Last week I did not enter the gym at all. It was my birthday week (I like to milk these things) and I didn't feel like spending it sweating away.

I'm sticking to the Couch to 5k program. It has been pleasantly surprising that it has not been too hard to get back into running. However I do suspect that is because I'm running on a treadmill and not pounding the pavement. As the weather gets mild and we move into spring, I'll need to try venturing outside again. The parentals got me proper running shoes for my birthday. My current pair were a tenner from a discount sports shop. They've done the job but I thought it might be wise to invest in a decent pair. Next step: actually wearing my new pair to the gym. They look lovely and shiny and I don't want to get them dirty.

2. To continue doing morning pages every day 

Urgh, I have hideously neglected this goal. Work has been very busy this month and the temptation to have an extra thirty minutes in bed has been too great. I did manage some writing this month and submited to Write in for Writing's Sake for the first time in a wee while. Not the most beautifully written story in the world but I was still getting some writing done.

3. To stick to my weekly schedules 

Bleh, another goal that has fallen by the wayside. As alluded to above, work has been insanely busy this month. Due to many factors, my workload has increased dramatically hand I have been required to work longer hours. I will get this time paid back to me so I'm going to try and treat that as a writing holiday. Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea when I'll get the time to cash in those hours.

4. To avoid getting into music ruts 

Again, I have been getting a little better with this. For some reason I have been listening to unhealthy levels of The Walkmen and Belle and Sebastian. I work in an open plan office and sometimes I do need to stick in the headphones to help me concentrate. Belle and Sebastian have been doing an excellent job of that.

Fun fact I recently found out: in 1997 Belle and Sebastian beat Steps to Best Newcomer at the BRIT awards. Apparently Steps were seriously pissed off because they had been told they were 'clear winners.'

Oh dear.

5. To keep track of the books I read and participate in the Sunday Salon once a month 

One of my more successful goals. This is probably because I only managed to finish one book in February. You can read my two most recent Sunday Salon posts here and here.

All in all, not a bad start to the year. I might toy with changing goal no. 3 just because my schedules are becoming something increasingly outwith my control. I'll see how March goes and work things out from there. 



No comments: